Tuesday, 6 May 2014

Best food shopping tips

Food shopping can be very tricky for plastic-conscious people.

The best piece of advice I can give is be prepared to be inconveniencedPlastic exists to make our lives easier, so if you want to really make a change you will have to allow things to be a little harder sometimes. This might mean leaving your full shopping trolley in the store and returning to your car because you left your resuable bags in the boot. It also means planning ahead. It can be difficult to shop off the cuff if you don't have bags with you or if you are in a rush and don't have the luxury of time to make considered choices.


Most supermarkets have mushroom
bags. Use them for all your fruit and
veges, and even your bulk bin purchases.
Always carry a tote bag with you. I made this
one from a light weight pillow case, it folds
up very small and I can easily fit it into a hand
bag or back pack.It means that I can avoid getting
a plastic bag when I do unplanned shopping.

Don't be afraid to ask. You will be surprised at how
accommodating businesses can be (after all they want
your custom). My butcher always packages my orders
in paper. I only had to ask once or twice and they now
automatically do it for me without me reminding them.

No comments:

Post a Comment