Saturday, 12 March 2016

Easy plastic free energy food

I recently received a head injury, hence my silence on the blog as using a computer can be challenging. 

One effect of the healing process has been a craving for high energy food (sweet stuff). I don't want to eat sugar as, apart from its unhealthy nature, it creates energy spikes and leaves me feeling even more tired when fatigue is already a major issue with the concussion.

This is what I came up with as a result; a sugar-free, high energy food that utilises the brain mending goodness of chia seeds (they are very high in Omega 3).













Salted Caramel Bliss Balls

1. Mix in a blender:
    1 Tbsp chia seeds
    1/2 c goji berries (packed full of amazing health benefits. Read more here).
    1/2 c dates
    1/4 tsp salt (1/2 tsp if you want more savoury and less sweet)
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 c cashews

Roll into balls and (optional) roll through dried coconut.

EASY!

They replace muesli bars for snacks and can be frozen if you make a large amount.

I wrap mine in beeswax wrap to take with me, and when I'm back on my bike, will use them a lot for energy boosts.

All ingredients bar the vanilla were sourced from bulk bins. Thankfully I can also buy organic vanilla in a glass jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment